Azadirachta indica is known by many names such as Neem, Margosa tree, Nimba, Vembaka, Bal-nimb, Vembu, Vepa, and Azadirachta. It is a miraculous tree native to India. Every part of this great tree is useful. The leaves, bark, seeds, oil and roots all are used for some therapeutic purpose. It is used as a folk medicine since time immemorial. Read more about Neem usage in Ayurvedic medicine system.
Neem is bitter in taste. But this bitterness is responsible for its therapeutic efficacy of this tree. Nimboin, nimbinene, 6-desacetylnimbinene, nimbandiol, nimbolide and quercetin are present in the leaves. Leaves are also reported to contain β-sitosterol, n-hexacosanol and nonacosane.
Neem is a tonic and a revitalizer, it works effectively in the treatment of diabetes. It has been found to reduce insulin requirements by up to 50% for diabetes, without altering blood glucose level. It significantly reduces insulin requirements for insulin dependent diabetes and have also been scientifically proved to be effective in treating and preventing diabetes. The possible mechanism of anti-hyperglycemic effect of Neem leaf was found to be reduction in peripheral utilization of glucose and suppression of glycogenolytic effect due to epinephrine action.
The bark is also known as Margosa Bark. It contains Azadirin, Margosin and Catechin. Bark is indicated in condition like ozena, pemphigus, scabies, leprosy, helminthiasis, gonorrhea, glossitis, opthalmia, asthma, cough, catarrh, constipation, uterine weakness. It is very good remedy for malaria.
- Botanical name: Azadirachta indica, Melia Azadirachta
- Family: Meliaceae
- Synonym: Melia azadirachta linn
- Sanskrit: Ravipriya; Vembaka, Nimba, Arishta
- Bengali: Nim or Nimb,
- Gujarati: Limba
- Tamil: Vembu
- English: Neem or Margosa tree; Indian Lilac.
- German: Indischer Zedrach.
- French: Azadirae d’IndeTincture of the bark is used for preparation of this remedy.
Health Benefits of Azadirachta indica
- It has soothing effect on irritation of skin. It has healing effect on cut, wound and acne. It cures conditions eczema, dandruff, rashes and ringworm. It provides nourishment form inside. It acts blood purifer.
- It helps in blood flow and prevents the blood clots.
- It has property to kills micro organisms.
- It increased immunity of body.
- It prevents greying of hair, and conditions like dandruff. It helps in getting rid of hair lice and cures form hair fall.
- In ancient times, its twigs were famous to clean teeth (datun of neem). It make gums strong and prevent from cavity. It heals mouth ulcer.
- Neem oil is used as balm for joint pain. It helps in inflammation in arthritis, gout and osteoarthritis.
- It helps in cure of malaria.
- It is a good herbal remedy for diabetes. It induces the production of insulin that lowers blood sugar level.
- It has a cooling effect that lowers the body temperature, so it helps in treating fever.
- It helps in treatment of acidity as it enhances the appetite and treats stomach ulcers. It helps in cure of constipation.
- It helps in curing intestinal worms. It reduces the problem of hemorrhoids.
- It helps in treatment of cervical cancer.
- It is well known tonic which is used antiseptic to treat any kind of bacterial infection. It is an astringent. It is very good remedy for chronic fever. It has power to act against cancer and gives immunity against viral infection. It has a important role towards impurities of blood and so recommend for skin diseases, boils, ulcers, eczema. So it acts as a detoxifer.
- It is best suited for those people who are very depressed in their life. They are very forgetful. They makes mistakes in writing and spelling. They are basically very inactive, they do not want to go out and do some activities. They have loss of memory so much so that they forgets the names of very familiar people, or what they have done the previous day.
Homeopathic Remedy Azadirachta indica Indications
- Ozena: a chronic disease of the nose accompanied by a fetid discharge. It is characterized by structural changes in nose.
- Pemphigus: It is a skin disease in which there are watery blisters.
- Scabies: It is disease which is spread from one person to another very easily and characterised by itching and small raised red spots. It is caused by the itch mite.
- Leprosy: It is a disease that causes symptoms on skin, mucous membranes, and nerves. It causes loss of color of skin, and in severe cases causes disfigurement and deformities.
- Helminthiasis: It is disease which is caused by worms.
- Gonorrhoea: It is sexually transmitted disease which causes discharge from urethra or vagina.
- Glossitis: It is inflammation of the tongue.
- Opthalmia: Inflammation of the eye.
- Asthma: It is a respiratory condition which is marked by attacks of spasm in the lungs, causing difficulty in breathing. It is basically allergic reaction.
- Catarrh: It is basically inflammation of the mucous membrane which causes excessive discharge of mucus in the nose or throat.
- Constipation: It is a condition which is characterised by hardened stools.
- Uterine weakness: It is associated with pregnancy, childbirth, lifting, coughing, damage to or weakness of the muscles.
Some of other complaints for which this medicine can be given
When patient has giddiness especially at 10. am. This feeling is worse when rising from a sitting posture. It is also given for throbbing headache, which is on right side. This kind of headache is worse by stooping. Patient’s head is very painful and very sensitive to touch.
It is given for the condition like ophthalmia in which eyes are red, congested. There is burning in eyes along with heaviness in eyes especially of right side.
Buzzing sound in heard in ears. At times cracking sound is also heard in the ears as if being tickled by a feather. This condition is worse on opening the mouth.
It is very good remedy for left sided sore throat. There si putrid taste in the mouth, with no thirst but mouth is bitter. Tongue is painful with a burning sensation. Saliva of patient tastes salty. It is also given in difficulty in swallowing especially when swallowing water and meat. Patient is very thirsty, especially at long intervals or sometimes thirstless. Patient likes cold water.
It is given for heartburn with good appetite. It is very good remedy when patient has a feeling of heaviness in abdomen with uneasiness, flatulence. Patient passes very offensive flatus. There is twisting pain so that he must bend forward which relieves. There is insufficient stool which is small, hard and knotty. So, it is very good remedy for constipation.
Patient has scanty, white, clear urine, with strong smell.
It is given in cases of asthma when patient has very troublesome cough after bathing at 1.p.m. He has thick, white discharge in small lumps, which is expelled with much difficulty. Patient has very difficulty respiration. Patient has pain in lower part of the right side of chest.
In this remedy numbness of right hand. Patient has a sensation of paralysis. Burning of soles and hands is also corrected by this remedy.
It is given in cases of chronic fever where fever is observed from 4:30 p.m with chill or without chills and diminishes at 7:30. Patient is heat stage feel glowing heat with burning in various parts of the body, even in open air. There is copious sweat, especially on the forehead, neck, upper part of the body. There is no sweat on the lower parts of the body.
Dosage of Azadirachta indica
Mother Tincture: Give one drop of drug in 3x dilutions, 4 times a day For 5 days.
Pellets: 1-2 tablets twice daily. Children should be given one tablet twice daily and when symptoms improve 1 tablet a day. If complaints are not relieved, consult a specialist.
Various Manufacturer of Azadirachta Indica
- Schwabe India in 1x potency. Available in tablet form, 20gm, Price Rs. 150
- Reckeweg- Azadirachta indica Q, Price: Rs.200
- SBL Azadirachta Indica: 1x Q (Mother tincture) Quantitiy 30ml, Price Rs.63
Side Effects of Azadirachta Indica
- It may lower blood sugar levels. So, diabetic patients should monitor blood sugar level carefully during the course of medicine. It is advised to consult a doctor before taking medicine.
- Neem oil may lead to infant death.
- Avoid use of the medicine if there is medical history of organ transplant, as it causes stomach irritation.
- This remedy should not be taken in case of pregnancy.
- Contraindications: No contra-indications for the use of Azadirachta indica 1X are known.
- Interactions: No interactions between Azadirachta indica 1X and other products are known.