Common names are bryony, white bryony and wild hops. It grows mainly in hedges and woodlands of Southern England, and in central and southern Europe. Whole root of Brynoia plant is taken for preparation of this remedy. The root of this plant has a bitter taste and unpleasant smell. In excessive amounts, it can cause death within hours, usually from inflammation of the digestive tract.
Preparation of Homeopathic Remedy Brynoia
The fresh root is unearthed before the plant flowers, chopped, pulped and macerated in alcohol for ten days, diluted and succussed.
General Symptoms where this remedy is given:
Pain of this remedy is stitching, tearing; worse by motion, better by rest. This pain is found mainly in chest. The Bryonia patient is irritable, has vertigo from raising the head. It affects specially right side of body.
Physical appearance of patient
Robust, firm fiber and dark complexion, with tendency to leanness and irritability. Children dislike to be carried or raised.
Specific symptoms of body
1. The patient is excessively irritable. This patient is hard to please. A special type of delirium is seen in patient in which although he is at home then also he wants to go home, and he always talks of business in delirium.
2. It has a special type of headache, which has bursting type of sensation, splitting headache (sensation as if head would split, as if hit by a hammer from within. This type of headache is worse by motion, stooping, opening eyes. Headache is mostly seen in back side of head.
3. In females a typical symptom is seen along with menses that frequent bleeding is seen when menses should appear. It can also be given in coryza (Cold) when shooting and pain is seen in forehead.
4. It has vertigo (chakkar aana) which is related to disease of ears. Also there is buzzing in ears.
5. It is very good remedy for glaucoma (Glaucoma is a disease that is often associated with elevated intraocular pressure, in which damage to the eye (optic) nerve can lead to loss of vision and even blindness)with typical symptoms such as when eyes are sore to touch and there is difficulty in moving them.
6. Dryness is frequently seen in this remedy, when lips are parched, dry cracked. Dryness of mouth, tongue, and throat, with excessive thirst. Bitter taste in mouth.
7. There is dryness of throat. Feels as if something is sticking in throat. It is given in cough when there is tough mucus in larynx and trachea, loosened only after much hawking.
8. Abnormal hunger is seen in these type of patients. Vomiting of water is seen immediately after eating.
Heaviness of stomach after eating, as of stone. Difficult digestion in summer.
9. It is also given in constipation where stools are hard, dry, looks burned, bloody. Worse in morning, from moving, in hot weather, after being heated, from cold drinks .There is burning pains after passing a stool.
10. It is very good remedy for females, where menses too early, too profuse, and menses are worse from motion, with tearing pains in legs.
Milk fever (a fever in women caused by infection after child birth due to the swelling of breasts with milk). Also there is pain in breasts at menstrual period.
It is given in all types of menstrual irregularities. It is excellent remedy for Intermenstrual pains (period between end of previous menses and start of later menses). Breasts are pale, hard and sharp particularly in women who are pregnant or breast-feeding.
Symptoms better by heat; By rest. Symptoms worse by movement.
11. It is good remedy for dry coughs with symptoms of Great dryness in the mouth, throat, chest, and mucous membranes. Coughs may be linked to colds. Cough is worse after eating or drinking. Cough is generally seen with vomiting. Expectoration is rust colored (jang ki tarah). Symptoms better by rest; by lying still; by pressure on the chest.
Symptoms worse warm room, in the morning from deep breathing; by movement, by eating and drinking. Cough is dry, and seen mostly at night. It is so severe that patient must sit up. There is frequent desire to take long breath and there is difficult respiration .Cough, with feeling as if chest would fly to pieces. Coming into warm room excites cough. It is very good remedy for angina for generally tincture is used.
12. It is very good remedy for colds and influenza with symptoms such as red, sore, swollen nose, a hoarse, constricted throat, and a dry cough. The lips are often cracked and itchy and the mouth is dry, with a white-coated tongue. Sharp, shooting ear pains may develop, as may sore eyes with sensitivity to movement and heavy eyelids. There may be an intense, aching headache. Also there is intense thirst and copious perspiration. Symptoms better by rest.
Symptoms worse by bending forward by movement.
14. In respiratory complaints hoarseness (awaz ka baithana )is generally seen which is worse in open air.
15. Backache and joint complaint is seen from sudden change of weather. Joints are swollen and hot and pain increase on least movement. Every spot is painful on pressure.
Dosage of Homeopathic Remedy Brynoia
First to twelfth attenuation